The band Awesome Colour who have just been signed by Sonic Youth onto their label SYR play an energetic live gig at the Cake Shop. They consist of a guitar player who has figured out a very special way to play his Rickenbacker guitar fucking fast, a bass player and a young female drummer who bangs the drums like it was the last day on earth. They create an energy onstage which is breathtaking.
Take the subway out to JFK and continue with a shuttle train to the peninsula which lies south of Brooklyn and Queens in the Atlantic Ocean. Like Coney Island this place is a summer hangout for mostly lower class people. The beach is that long that you cannot make out either end of it. It seems like a city on its own stretched out along the ocean.
There is again skywriting but performed only by a single plain whose pilot seems to be drunk. In a shitty way he writes letters across the sky which make up the words „Who is KyleXY?“. This is far away from the perfection of the Fire Island skywriting, but also funnier.
We then cross the peninsula to the Nortwest side where we have dinner in a restaurant by the water. We watch a beautiful sunset behind green islands which look like birds’ paradise. In the background we see airplanes descending to JFK.
The Eels play an open air live gig at the World Financial Center by the Hudson River.
They are dressed like freaks in a military-like outfit. Their rowdy appearance seems to shout out Fuck Bush! loud. There is a huge security guy onstage who watches the audience suspiciously. He then starts to perform Karate moves onstage and does other funny things. Latest by then you have realized that he belongs to the band. During the breaks he speaks to the audience things like „I am enjoying this!“ and then goes on to pick up different instruments and play with the band. It is an amazing live gig! After the concert their is a great sunset over the Hudson which is also for free.
A friend takes me out to Fire Island, which is 1,5 hrs from NYC. As soon as we get off the highway there is a nice breeze from the sea which feels so very different from the heat and humidity you get in the city. The Island stretches out in the Atlantic Ocean over 30 miles and lies in front of Long Island. The water is still quite cold, nevertheless I have a good swim.
Lying idly in the sand I see little airplanes pass by with banners (ads) on their tails. I think, of course there is no place to escape advertising. After a while I discover 5 airplanes in the sky which do skywriting. They emit bits of gas which make up letters. It reads as follows:
I see Wes Anderson (director of Royal Tennenbaums, Life Aquatic etc.) at an exhibition opening in the East Village. After getting advice from a friend of mine i go to talk to him. He is a very nice and quite a shy person. He looks like a 28 years old student. I really like his films, they are very funny and smart.
Went to a club called the Apt in the Meat Packing District yesterday. The evening is hosted by the New York record shop Other Music. There is a live gig of the Berlin based electro-techno outfit Modeselektor which is on Ellen Allien’s BPitch Control label.
I have a great evening with friends dancing and drinking both intensely. Modeselektor rock the Apt’s basement hard! Everybody is dancing. I am dancing and sometimes screaming. As we leave the club it’s dawn. It is a nice feeling to be up at dawn after partying hard…
is back in town. It’s tight black jeans (especially at the lower legs), a t-shirt and long black hair. Larry Clark uses the same look for his new film “Wassup Rockers”, too.
is a new documentary about the disfranchisement (Aberkennung des Wahlrechts) of black voters in Florida in 2000 and about the remarkable politician Cynthia McKinney (black female Democrat) of Georgia. The Republicans drove her out in past elections with a trick. They sent their voters to vote for a black Democratic candidate different from Cynthia McKinney instead for a Republican. But in the last elections she fought her way back. She speaks out about issues no-one else dares to and leaves Rumsfeld speechless in Congress.
walks by under my window. I see him go around the corner on the other side of the street. He has a black bag on his shoulder which makes his walking look clumsy. He looks almost like a business guy.
I really like him as an actor. He played in good movies (Todd Solondz’s Happiness, in both P.T. Anderson’s great films Boogie Nights and Punch, Drunk, Love). He also played Capote (for which he won an Oscar) and he makes a good mark in MI3, too.
1. Art School Confidential by Terry Zwigoff: Set in an art college, meant to be fun but it’s just piling up stupid clichés. This is very annoying, given that Mr. Zwigoff used to be a good director who made the great comic book adaptation „Ghost World“ in 2001 with Thora Birtch, Scarlet Johansson and Steve Buscemi.
2. Mission Impossible (MI:3) by … – I don’t remember. Well, it’s an action flic. After the opening scene where Mr. Cruise gets married there is a lot of action going on, the camera is moving constantly, a lot of explosions, shooting and fighting. It’s ok as an action movie.
3. Hard Candy: Quite a horrible film about a 14 years old girl who takes revenge on a pedophile who she deems responsible for the suicide of her friend.
4. The Preposition, after a screenplay by Nick Cave. The movie stars Guy Pearce as one of four brothers who form up a gang. It is set in late 19th century Australia. The scenes are populated with dirty and fucked up people which makes the movie a little different from its American counterparts. The music which was written by Nick Cave is very good. The film is good, too.
List of items which broke down so far:
1. Portable CD-Player: breaks down due to a faulty CD.
2. My knees, but they are ok again.
3. My watch gets destroyed as I unintentionally expose it to water having a shower.
4. First pair of blue jeans: get a hole on the backside as I bow down. There is only a small hole at first which widens fast every time I do a similar move.
5. Second pair of jeans, due to a similar event.
6. Cell phone: my Motorola cannot charge the battery anymore.
6. Third pair of jeans, break as I get on my bike.